Tuesday, May 20, 2008

GMAT Worries

I gave my first powerprep and happened to get a 640 ! I feel so terrible :(. I thought I would score a 700 atleast. In hindsight, I feel I have been too lenient with my quant preparation, and just my verbal preparation is not upto the mark. I have four weeks to go, and probably OG11 is the only guide I have been practising. Any tips/strategies from fellow bloggers are welcome. I have been visiting the Beatthegmat forums. I feel there is too much information floating around there, and what I need at this point is probably a synthesizer to filter useful information and ace the GMAT. I know I can do it, but my powerprep score surely isnt motivating me at this time :(

6 comments:

wip3out said...

How about this: I was testing in the 650s, had horrible practice tests from other publications (was also using Kaplan and 800score.com) and got a 720 on the final test.

One tip: Make a commitment during the test to move on. Be decisive. Don't hesitate. It helped me a lot.

And: Practice practice. Especially with the OG!

Good luck.

JulyDream said...

Depending on where you think your weakness lies... the Kaplan Math Review is a good book to do cover to cover to improve quant concepts from the base. Additionally, the OG - Verbal and Quant books have additional questions if you've finshed the OG11.

wip3out is right though, best advice for the test, know when to cut your losses. GOOD LUCK!

The Teacher said...

As you said, you have only 4 weeks to go, you might want to show more aggression towards preparation.

If quant is your weak area, my only suggestion would be to get the basics right and be attentive and careful in DS.

If verbal is a pain, I feel Manhattan SC guide is a good book to improvise on your SC. Regular practice is the key.

Try to give more tests and analyze each in detail. Even your correct answers. You never know the reason you got it right was not the reason. ;) This goes for each question you practice from OG too.

HTH.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Starwalker said...

I think you did well.... my first score was 610, and two months later i was sitting in front of a screen telling my incredulous self i had a 770! you have started well.... keep it up & you'll be in high 700s

preeti said...

Cracking GMAT is never easy, so those preparing for exam should put extra efforts in their preparation. As we know that GMAT exam is based on three difficult sections, so we have to concentrate to all the section, time management also plays a major role in it.

Best Regards
GMAT Sentence Correction